Ramblings...

15 enero 2006

Life in the city!

Some things I’ve learned about Mexico City in the past week and a half:

~Most things take longer to do.

~There is almost always some kind of traffic. If there’s not traffic, then you need to make a left turn and you have to find a little turn around thing called a “returno”. Riding in a vehicle here is an experience with in itself!


~Soliciting is not illegal. If you are stopped in traffic, on a bus, or on the metro, some will come by and attempt to sell you something ranging from music to food to poems.


~Tacos really are better in Mexico! Of course, they are very different than what you think of tacos.

~Hardly anyone actually drinks the water. They buy the filtered water for their homes.

~People assume that I speak Spanish and I wish that assumption was correct.

~The altitude can make a difference.

~Having no elevator and living on the 4th floor (that’s really the 5th floor), isn’t all that bad.

~Toilet paper is never flushed.

~Just about anywhere you go, there is a street performer.

~Small amounts of pesos do count for something.

~Manzana (apple) Lift is one of my new favorite drinks. Also, there is another great drink made from flower petals. Mangos are delicious here!

~Teaching at a small school with only 5 students maximum in my classes and having much parent involvement is amazing!

~To have a cell phone here, you need no contract. You pay a flat fee for the phone and then add minutes as needed.

~One minute it may seem like its 30 degrees f. outside but in about ½ an hour, it will be 70 degrees f.

~It does get cold with out any heat in the apartment.

~It’s nice having things with in walking distance. We have a little snack store, a taco place, a coffee shop, a pizza place, and a bakery all close by!

~Walking to and from school is not so bad.

~Not having a car is not so bad. The subway, buses, and taxis aren’t that bad, either.

~This city is not a scary as it was made out to be.

~Going to the “Zoloco” or town square type thing will open your eyes to spiritual life in Mexico.

~It’s nice having roommates again!

~I am different. I stick out. (Phil 3:20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ)

~ I have so much to learn.

~When you greet a good friend, you kiss each other on the cheek. It takes time to greet everyone and say goodbye to everyone.

~Always carry toilet paper with you and sometimes it costs to use the bathroom in a public place.

~There are people who want to help your parks or wash your windows. The get paid in tips.

~There are people everywhere!!!!

~I am learning to love this city that God has called me to more and more each day.

~I will eventually know the language, the bus route, the metro schedule, etc, but it will take time. I must be patient. I must not be afraid to make myself look silly. I must continue to trust the Lord who has called me to this fascinating place!


2 Comments:

Publicar un comentario

<< Home