Ramblings...

06 junio 2008

This is how we roll...

I have just recently gotten back from Guatemala. Man, how I have missed living in Latin America. It definitely has my heart and hopefully, Lord willing, I will be living there in the near future ;). I think one of the things I miss about living in Latin America is just the simplicity of life. You can get along with much less. One of my biggest fears has been that the USA culture of needing to have things would invade my life. I struggled with buying a car. The majority of my friends in Mexico don’t have cars and if they do, it’s one that is shared by all the adults in the household that drive…I didn’t want to loose this mindset. Now, at moments I can see materialism creeping in, so this trip was a good reminder that nothing I have is mine and that at any moment or time, if He calls me to give it up, I should willingly do so. It was also weird for me to not experience culture shock. Guatemala is very similar to Mexico in many ways, but it is also different. (And on an exciting note, I got to eat some REAL TACOS!!! Although, not quite as good as the ones I ate every week, but it made me super excited!). I am also reminded that God goes before us and He is there when we leave. At this point I’m not sure where I will end up living but I do know that Guatemala now holds a small piece of my heart. I want to be burdened for Memphis, just as I am for Latin America. “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer” Psalm 19:14

It’s also neat to see how when God calls us to something and we walk in that, He will use it. This trip was the first time I had ever really translated for others (i.e. there weren’t really any other missionaries around to help me out). I know there were several occasions that God gave me words to say because I don’t really feel like I know that much Spanish. But, all that to say, had I not been faithful to live in Mexico and learn Spanish, I would not be living and working where I am today and would not have had the opportunity to go to Guatemala. I love how the Lord directs our steps!!!! I love that He is faithful, always!! To Him be glory, after all it’s His anyway. I’ll eventually put some pics up of Guatemala and life here in Memphis.

Los quiero mucho