Ramblings...

16 febrero 2006

Thoughts about things...

Strange place
Strange smells
I am not at home
Peculiar people
1 in 28 million
Just a face in the crowd
I am nothing
A place rich in tradition
Foreigner


Stranger
And stranger still
Heaven bound
Set apart
Valued
Not just a face in the crowd
He is everything
He is above tradition
Foreigner


I think lately I have really begun to understand what it means to be a foreigner. In the states, I woke up and went about my life just blending in to the sea of faces. Here things are different. I stick out. People stare. They watch to see what say and how I act. In many ways that makes part of my life here easier. They already know that I am different. The difficulty comes in the “why”, that is “why am I different”. It’s not just because my skin is pale and my hair is light. Oh, there is so much more to my calling here. My heart is broken for these people who I can’t even really communicate with because my Spanish is horrible.

In the midst of my frustrations, this place is beginning to “fit” more and more. I don’t refer to it as home, because I am not home and I long to be there one day. (Phil 3:20-21). In the middle of this strange and fascinating culture, I find myself with a sense of peace that passes all understanding. What a joy to be right in the midst of His will. It’s amazing how things that should seem so odd, seem just fine. It’s only been a month and half, but I can tell that I have been changed. I’ve been wrecked, in a good way. My world has changed; my perception of life has changed. I can’t help but give glory to God. There is no possible way that I could be here and content with out Him first calling me. I couldn’t be anywhere else!

Some thoughts on singleness err maybe a short rant….

It’s funny to look back and see how I thought my life would look. I surely thought that I would be married by this time. As you know, I’m not, but I’m totally satisfied (wow, it’s taken me a long time to get to that point but it’s totally true!). Of course getting to this point did take much pleading and surrender. I can’t help but give thanks to God for how He has spared my heart from so much heartache. I know so many people in their twenties and early thirties who have hearts that have been trampled on and I am blessed to be free from that burden. Now don’t get me wrong, I still want to be married. It’s just that it isn’t my focus or my time. There is so much that I have yet to experience. Had I been quick to settle, I wouldn’t be here getting to live in this amazing city. Sometimes I feel as if my identity is based on my single status. Well Houston, that’s a HUGE negative. My identity is based on Christ! (gal. 2:20). So, for those readers who are singles out there, be encouraged! God can and will still use you. Don’t mope around in your single misery but rather embrace it “for such a time as this”. There is so much that we as singles to do. Be patient and trust in God’s timing! GO! And to you married folk, encourage those singles. Encourage them to seek His face! Don’t place their identity in the fact that they are single. All that to say, there is nothing wrong with being single! After all, Paul is a fan of the single life! (1st Cor. 7).

Ok, wow, I feel better; I’ve gotten all of that off my chest!

1 Comments:

  • Being wrecked is such a good place to be. It makes you re-evaluate where you were going in the first place. Following God is really the only place to be. Sounds like you are doing just that. God bless your time in Mexico.
    Also, I just want to say that being married does not necessarily mean being "settled". My husband and I just transplanted our three little one half way around the world in service of the King! Life does change, but it is still an adventure. You just have to bring the diapers and wipes.

    By Anonymous Anónimo, at 7:19 a.m., febrero 17, 2006  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home